So after having an unexpected epiphany this week, we've decided to bring Malia with us to China to pick up Eden. About a year ago, a social worker pretty definitively advised that we shouldn't bring a toddler with us on the trip, stating the distractions and busyness we would be consumed by and that young kids would do better at home with the full attention of a loving caregiver. After hearing his advice, I completely put out of my mind even considering bringing Malia along. It seemed the general wisdom was to leave the small kids at home.
Then, on the heels of the traumatic response Malia had when we left her behind for a 4-day board meeting in Utah that Paul and I had to attend, I began to worry more about how she would do while we were in China. I still, though, wasn't entertaining the thought of bringing her, just trying to come up with better distractions and enlist extra help for poor grandma.
But a few days ago I was discussing this with my mom, who we've asked to care for Malia while we're in China, and she simply asked me "You really can't bring her with you"? And I immediately went into the reasons that were imprinted in my brain by this point as to why we couldn't. But afterwards I thought, well why not really? So I called the agency to see if it was still a possibility and they basically said it came down to whether or not I could get Malia a passport and entry visa in time.
I also went on the Holt web forum and asked other adoptive parents their advice and experiences. The responses I got were all telling me to bring Malia! I had no idea because I never asked. They shared stories of how having their other kids there made the transition easier for their new child, and on the flip side allowing the kids to be a part of the trip helped them to accept the new sibling as well.
With each passing day Paul and I feel more and more peace that this is the right decision and we're so thankful God led us to this realization in time. Just in time! We just applied for Malia's passport this morning and we'll have just enough time to get it as well as her visa.
We are even more excited now to leave for China knowing how much fuller the experience will be for us as a family :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi E I've been meaning to drop u a note.. since we are on the same journey and w/similar age bio kids! We are gonna bring our daughter too... for the same reasons you listed (family event and hopefully will assist w/jealousy) I think it's gonna be complete chaos over there tho! (Our kids are 10 mon apart) I think we are about a wk behind u in the process... hoping for our article 5 on Mon! So only a few more wks till we go! ya! -Joyce (steph's sis)
Post a Comment