Thursday, January 7, 2010

No, Daddy... I want Mommy! Waaaaa!

Bonding. Attachment. Connection. Whichever is your favorite term, it's one of the great fears in adopting. Will my adopted child ever "take" to me? We have heard from other parents who've had difficulty with their child attaching to them in the beginning. They are experiencing the loss of their former caregivers and don't often switch loyalties too easily.

Well, I've been reminded lately that bonding is an ongoing process, and can sometimes be difficult, even with supposedly "ideal" conditions (intact birth parents, stable home environment, etc.). Every morning these days Malia wakes up and cries for Mommy. Some mornings I go in first. At the sight of me, Malia will frown, lurch back, kick her legs up in protest, and wail for Mommy. Somehow my fragile ego has been taking it in stride. I just try to win her over. Everyday. What else can I do?

Usually, by about 7:30am, I'm her buddy again. And then she gives me the best "have a good day at work" hug there is.

Who knows what it will be like at first with Eden? I think I'm sorta ready to handle whatever comes. Malia's been preparing me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey bro, thanks for sharing. I wish I could identify with your struggle now rather than later. I'm sure our future little ones will be crying for mama too rather than wanting to see my ugly mug. It could be worse...at least she's not kicking you out the door on your way out. I'm sure it helps that she's adorable though. I love that pic you posted. So cool to see Eden's name next to Malia's. Can't wait to babysit the both of them. Love ya man! Peace!

Georgio

Unknown said...

Paul,
That's so funny. My kids are always crying for "Daddy!". What are we doing wrong here??? I'm hoping my son will love me =).