Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Official


Our little family of three is about to grow.

For those of you who have known us well, this comes as no surprise. We have begun submitting paperwork to bring home a baby sister for Malia from China.

There will be many, many unknowns throughout this process. It's both exciting and scary. In the end, though, we really feel called to do this.

The idea of "calling" is such an opaque, sometimes nebulous concept... especially when you try to explain it to someone in plain English. It's more than just a feeling in your gut... although that's part of it. It's more than using the "adaptive unconscious", as Malcolm Gladwell puts it in his book, Blink. It's feeling a sense of peace that you're doing what you were made to do... It's experiencing deep-seated joy in living out that sense of calling, even when the going gets tough... It's knowing that God is smiling down on you as you take each step of faith.

We know not every family would want to embark on something like this, nor do we feel like we're any braver nor nobler nor more virtuous than any other couple. We simply believe this is what we are called to do, and we are so very delighted to think about bringing home this child and loving her to the fullest extent a parent can love a daughter.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, we've requested a girl. :)

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Hi Eliza!! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I know this post of yours is old, but I plan to read through your whole blog. I had no idea that you guys adopted!! Now you have two sweet little girls. This post about feeling "called" is just what happened to us. We are so excited to be embarking on this adoption journey, too. I wish I had know about your blog sooner! I hope you are all doing well and adjusting to life home with Eden!