A few days later I told Paul how overwhelmed I was and he suggested that we start a blog. It would be a therapeutic sort of thing, to journal about our thoughts and struggles going through this process. It would also be a means of support so we can share with close friends what our prayer needs are.
But in starting this blog, I also thought it could serve another purpose. To maybe demystify the adoption process a little bit in case there was someone who may be interested in adoption but not sure what it entails. I was definitely in that place a couple of years ago.
It may not be the smoothest transitions from logistics to emotional reactions, but I'll do my best :)
- Oct. 3,2008. Sent in application for adoption ($200)
- Oct. 17, 2008 Conference call with Holt, Paul and I. Received that day emails containing info on parenting classes we are required to take, forms for fingerprinting and criminal background checks (FBI and State of CA), child abuse registry checks for every state you've lived in since 18yrs (four states for Paul, this was a pain), request for copies of marriage and birth certificates, and an invoice for the Home Study fee ($2900)
- Oct. 30, 2008 After receiving our Home Study fee we got another email containing even more forms! Employment verification form, financial statement form, medical reports to confirm we are in good health (for China they also require a notarized physical examination by your doctor for your dossier. Dossier is all the forms, pictures, and documents that serve to represent your family to Chinese officials), and the kicker, a 16-page Personal Data Information Form where you answer all sorts of questions about yourself and your life.
So that last email was over a month ago and we are still not done with the forms. I just went to the doctor yesterday to get my physical and Paul goes on Friday. And we haven't touched the Personal Data stuff yet! I just signed up for parenting classes offered by Holt for next weekend where I'll get two out of five of the series completed.
One last important mention for this post. After sending in our application and learning that the timeline for adoption from China was running 3-4 years right now, we heard about the Child of Promise option that cuts the timeline to a year to year and a half when you are open to a child with minor/correctable medical issues. I, who NEVER has made time to read a book in at least 2 years, happened to be reading Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder about a doctor who overcomes tremendous obstacles and opposition to bring quality medicine and care to very poor countries. It made me think about diseases and ailments that in America are relatively simple to treat, but in developing countries where resources are scarce it can mean death or a lifetime of hardship and pain. Reading about this doctor's story readily put me in the mindset to want to adopt a Child of Promise and I shared with Paul what I was thinking.
Paul was still abroad traveling and needed more time to think and pray over it. A few weeks later he was in Hong Kong for a conference and on the plane read a story in Holt's newsletter about a family who adopted a girl with cleft lip and how she has blessed their lives. That plus spending the week in China and Paul came home ready to go with the Child of Promise option! It encouraged me and reassured me that God was with us in this and would continue to lead us every step.
1 comment:
wow! i didn't know all that. the blog is really great!
Post a Comment