Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The App Is In!

Whew! As we previously mentioned, China won't accept my US passport as proof of citizenship, so I've had to assemble a laundry list of documents to the US Center for Immigration Services to try to get my Certificate of Citizenship. Why don't I have one? I have this vague recollection of missing my appointment back in, like, 1984 because of a soccer tournament. I can't even remember if I scored a goal that day to at least make up for some of the pain in the fanny this has caused us.

Well, the documents are in (along with a hefty $460 check). The funniest piece of it was submitting my Family Census Register from Korea. For those of you who've never experienced life in a developing country (at least Korea was in 1972), let's just say that the documentation for stuff is... well, different. My Family Census Register is literally on this thin, see-through paper. It might even be made of rice. It's all in Chinese characters and it traces my lineage for multiple generations. Like hundreds of years, I think. That stuff is important in patriarchal societies like Korea. I'd love to see the look on the immigration officer's face when they try to figure out what to do with it.

We're just hoping it won't take the full 6 months to review and get my certificate. In the meantime, we're going to keep moving on other stuff (e.g., home study, compiling dossier) that is not predicated on the proof of citizenship being in place.

Thanks, all, for caring enough about us to read this blog and ask us how we're doing. The support and encouragement has meant a lot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paul, you for sure scored in that soccer game. You got mad skills bro. I think my body just now is starting the recovery process after you ran me around long beach like a golden retriever. It feels like I'm learning how to walk all over again. Praying for you guys.

George